teisipäev, 16. juuli 2013

Delphi

Well, I'm becoming lazier and lazier at this.

Anyways, on Sunday I slept until 10.30 and just elaxed for awhile. When our hostfamily came back from church, we ate some rice and chicken (a living proof that not every single American food comes in a pack of powder or a can) and went to downtown Lafayette. It really surprised me when I heard that my hostfamily has been walking in downtown just a couple of times (I can't remeber anymore, if it was never or a few times) and the downtown was quite deserted.

So in the evening me and Allie went to see "Heat". In front of us in the ticket line were some Purdue students who could get discount (because they study at Purdue), so when we finally asked for the tickets, the saleswoman automatically assumed that we were Purdue students too, so she gave us a discount without even asking. :) The movie was pretty great, although there was a loooot of swearing and some real action scenes.

On Monday we crammed in the trolley, minibuses and a car and went to Delphi, a small town 45 minutes from Lafayette. First we did some community service by spreading out the rocks on small streets in the woods, which I found really weird, but I guess they find it useful here. Since Karolina had a birthday, we ate the cake in the woods. :)
We visited Erie Canal Museum (that's not the official name, but it was all about the canal and the early 1800s era) and rode a canal boat. Our guides were dressed in 1800s clothes and the museum was very interesting. There was also an outside exhibition - a bunch of 1800s style buildings like school, cooper's(barrelmaker's) workshop etc. We went into the school building and our guide told us about schooling back in the 1800s. Since our guide had been a teacher herself for a long time, she also tlaked a little about her experiences and it really surprised me when she said that in the mid-1980s, spanking was allowed and totally common in US school, and what's even more surprising, she thought it was absolutely okay.

Later we came back from Delphi and I went to Dairy Queen for an ice cream. I spent almost the whole time there talking to Helen (my so annoying and sweet little sister :D) who apparently didn't want to go to sleep yet (it was ca 23.30 Estonian time).Oh, and I bought myself finally a Purdue T-shirt, it cost a fortune..

In the evening me, Allie and our host family went to play minigolf and Hannah found it really amusing to pick the golf balls up(I have no idea if the grammar is right, it's late and I'm sooo tired). But it was nice anyway.

The next post about today and the International Bazaar will hopefully come later today or tomorrow morning, but right now I'm going to watch a movie.

Burning hot regards form Indiana,
Elis


Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar